May 21, 2021
This is another in our Webinar Series. 1 hour.
One: Impediment Removal Team
The basics of the idea are simple.
You form a Scrum Team with Managers. The job of the team is to fix impediments for a group of Teams (say, 5 to 20 teams). In the Product Backlog of the IRT is a list of impediments to fix, sliced into right-sized pieces. And the IRT works as team to fix those impediments.
Typically managers are quite skilled in fixing impediments.
Each Team still has a ScrumMaster, also working on impediments. So, you need some coordination.
* The productivity or usefulness of the managers (and each manager) becomes clearer.
* The related Teams become more productive.
* The managers understand Scrum far better, since they are using Scrum to fix the impediments.
* The Teams get to give feedback on whether each impediment was fixed properly.
This can help a lot in getting better alignment between the managers and the teams abou Scrum and any issues about Scrum. Very helpful. Still, you will get the pushback: well, the managers are not doing the same kind of work as our team is. But there is better alignment.
Two: Executive Action Team
This is a similar idea.
This is a pattern that Jeff Sutherland likes to use with the top executives. The C-suite as they are sometimes called.
You take ~7 people from the C-suite and form a Scrum Team. Teach them Scrum, etc.
In a similar way, the work of the E.A.T. is all the transformation work and higher level impediments. So, that becomes the product backlog. And they deliver “working product” every sprint (every 2 weeks).
* The CEO gets to see if his.her people are a Team.
* The Agile Transformation is better faster.
* It may take a while before they really work as a Team, but when they do, it makes a difference.
* The E.A.T. gets feedback quickly on their work
* The E.A.T. people now understand Scrum a lot better now, having done it.
Date: Thursday, May 27, 2021
Time: 2-3 pm Eastern.
Online via Zoom.
Finally: If you have suggestions for topics for these webinars (really anything related to agile), please send them to me. [email protected] Thank you!